Friday, July 11, 2008

Life with dewclaws.


I have an ouwie. I am sure that you will want to know. I was romping around the usual way in my heap of interesting objects that I keep on the deck and before I knew it I felt a pang of pain and saw my nail hanging in some strawberry netting. It hurt (not the nail but my ouwie) but I didn't make a big issue out of it at all.

My nail was interesting and I could see Homie looking at me curiously, the way she does when I do something she doesn't understand. Then she heard me crack it between my teeth and she jumped up. She just didn't understand what it was that I had in my mouth and of course, I kept my mouth shut really tightly because I wasn't going to share this yummy treat with Homie.

Then later she saw me licking my dewclaw and I could see a light bulb go on above her head.

You see, the breeder removed my front dewclaws but not those on my back legs and the groomer always leaves them a little long. Sorta cool looking seeing Homie won't let me have a tattoo or pierce my ears.

Naturally we now have a little machine that Homie has let me lick and sniff for a couple of days. It whirrs, which is a little scary. Yesterday Homie filed down my nails with it. I think this is going to be a weekly procedure so good job I like the attention I get and it doesn't hurt me at all.

My dewclaw is growing again but still looks like a funny little stump. Knowing Homie I think I can put long nails as part of my look out of my head from now on.

No comments: